I stopped writing here a while ago; again.
Quitting my job was the best decision I’ve ever made. I took a job managing a seasonal retail store through the end of October. It made me realize how much I missed retail. My dad told me the happiest he ever saw me was when I was working my retail job in college. I needed a job once November came so I figured why not? What did I have to lose? They were only hiring for a cashier, but I needed something. I walked in afraid I’d be shunned. I admit when I left I wasn’t the nicest. I had this elitist attitude that has since been humbled. Instead I was welcomed back with open arms. I felt so relieved and so content. They gave me my old management job back too. The amount of stress that has been lifted from me since leaving my office job is insane. Sure I’m making half of what I made in my office job, but the ole’ money can’t buy happiness cliche isn’t far from the truth. I feel so at peace and as of today I feel my depression is finally being fully alleviated.
The other day I finally reached a point of pure joy.
3 years ago I thought I was happy in my office job. I look at that as a high point in that career. I was walking out of the employee area when I heard a voice I recognized. A coworker from that job was standing in line talking to one of my cashiers. We stepped aside and caught up on life. Before she left she said, “you know you look so happy. I’ve never seen you this happy. You look great! I’m really glad you’re clearly in a good place.” I realized she’s right. I wasn’t this happy before. Now I truly am feeling happiness.
I’m progressively organizing my life and picking up the pieces to be myself again. My anxiety is at an all time low and my depression is virtually non-existent. I’m so happy. ❤
I’m not much of a risk taker. I have lately been telling myself I want to be one. To my readers I’m sorry I haven’t posted lately, but I’ve been dealing with a lot the last week.
First off I wanted to make this post one to promote my amazing friend and her new business venture, but I feel I need to take a moment to be a bit selfish so I can share an update on my life.
So I typically talk about wanting to pay off my debt and my goals to make this blog something that will be a financial benefit. That is still my goal, but this week I took a huge risk that might shake up the course of things for a while. Currently I have a job with a company that I have been a part of for almost five years. It’s a very high stress job and it’s tearing me apart. To help put things into perspective the depression and anxiety I feel daily wasn’t even this high when I lost my mother. I sit at work feeling sick to my stomach everyday due to the insane pressure of just completing my assignments on time. I’ve barely slept, and I struggle with eating everyday. Normally I come home and have a good cry while trying to force feed myself. Yesterday I decided I’d had enough. After a confrontation with my direct supervisor and a panic attack on the drive home that nearly caused me to have to pull over I called my dad and we discussed what I could do to better handle the situation. After a five minutes we came to the perfect solution.
Today I handed in my two week notice.
It was definitely a risk. I have nothing to fall back on right now. I have some stuff sitting on the side that I could consider, but nothing confirm and that terrifies me. My first reaction was to have a minor panic attack after I sent the resignation, but as the day went on and my coworkers spoke to me I felt a weight lift off of me. I’m still emotionally exhausted but I feel for the first in a long time I’ll actually sleep well tonight. I had people come up and congratulate me, and then when I told them I had nothing to fall back on stare at me in amazement. Some said I was crazy, but others said they admired my boldness. You’ve all seen my debt and as you know I’m constantly broke and living paycheck to paycheck. So I decided what’s better, broke and happy or broke and miserable? The answer is obvious.
So here I go. Off to figure out what the heck I’m doing with myself. Wish me luck and hopefully I don’t fall flat on my face.
Hey everyone! I hope you find yourselves well today. I’ve been doing a bit of cleaning up around the blog particularly in rebranding it. Let me know what you guys think of it. Did you prefer the old name of Confessions of a Fashionista better? If so please let me know in the comments below!
Onto the topic of the day 10 Free Money Making & Saving Apps Worth Having. Part of my side hustle has been to save money and earn money using various apps on my phone that make it even easier!
- Shopkick – Ok so I’m sure you’ve heard of this by now, but if you haven’t or you have and still haven’t downloaded it you absolutely have to click the link and get it! You earn points that can be put towards gift cards for your favorite stores literally just for walking in. Scan items and get even more points. Buy items by attaching your card to the app and yes you’re getting even more points. It is so easy to rack up the points. As a Target shopper I can literally walk in, spend about 20 minutes shopping and scanning things as I pass and walk out easily with over 200 points. The app also has in app offers you can just click on to find hidden points. (Android/iOS)
- Slidejoy – This app is so easy to use. You literally have to do nothing! That’s right you set it up, it shows an ad on your lock screen and you earn credit for it. The phone behaves normally, it goes to sleep, it unlocks the same way, everything works like normal it just has an ad on it. I haven’t even noticed a change in my battery life from using it. In just a few months I earned $10 in gift cards and a $2 PayPal cash credit. You can even set it up for ‘Hero Mode’ where your money automatically gets donated to the charity of your choice! (Android)
- Ibotta – The ease of use this app offers really blew up a few months back and it’s still going strong. So how do you use it? Pick your store, pick your items, add them to your list, take a picture of your receipt and wait for your rebate to deposit! Yes it is that easy. You’re literally making a grocery list and sending a pic of your receipt to get money back. How exciting is that? (Android/iOS)
- Foap – I admit I haven’t used this one yet. If my Instagram feed on the side is any indication I don’t take many pictures and when I do they’re subpar at best. Still if you’re an Instagram junkie or just love taking pictures like my sister this app may be right up your alley. You can sell your images online as stock photography. Each picture goes for around $10 and you’ll just get the money deposited into your PayPal account. Maybe one day I’ll add something there. (Android/iOS)
- ReceiptHog – This is an even simpler version of Ibotta as you don’t have to make a list and shop at specified locations. Just take a picture of your receipt, earn your points and cash them in for Amazon or PayPal cash. (Android/iOS)
- Google Opinion Rewards – This is an Android only application, but it’s simple and free. All you have to do is take some brief surveys and you’ll earn credit towards your Google Play account. That credit can be used towards the purchase of apps, music or even movies! (Android)
- FreePrints – (Use code rflesch1 to get 5 extra prints per month) This is not a money making app, but it’s a big money saver if you like to print pictures. I know I said I don’t take many pictures, but in the past I’ve taken quite a few when on vacation. Printing them for scrap booking and framing can be extremely expensive, but with FreePrints you receive 100 prints every month that are actually good quality. You only have to pay shipping and handling and they even have bonus’s like free photo books! I absolutely love this app! (Android/iOS/Windows/Amazon)
- Postmates – (Use code lrwud to get $10 off your order) Once again this isn’t a money maker, but it’s a money and time saver! Postmates delivers merchandise and restaurant food to your home without the hassle of having to go out yourself. They cover everything from your favorite sit-down eateries to fast food restaurants as well as hardware stores and auto shops. This is excellent for anyone who may not have the time or ability to get everywhere they need to go in one day. (Android/iOS)
- GigWalk – When I first got this app there were a limited selection of gigs in my areas. It’s rapidly expanding though and gigs are filling up fast! Currently there is a gig in my area to earn $32 just for following their simple instructions in reviewing a specific McDonalds location. This app is fantastic for quick and easy cash! (Android/iOS)
- Iconzoomer – This one is really easy and another great earning app. It gives you assignments like ‘take a picture of your lunch and tells us what you’re eating’ or ‘take a picture of your favorite pair of shoes and tell us why you love them.’ Then you can earn cash deposited directly into your PayPal account or even charitable donations. (Android/iOS)
It’s difficult to be willing to make changes in life sometimes, but confronting them with a positive attitude can be the best way to adapt.
I’ve never been a risk taker and I’ve always wished that I could be. The only thing holding me back was myself. I’ve held three jobs in my life, one for the state, one in retail and one in my current role with a financial firm. The first one my dad got for me, and the other two I had friends working for the company that put in a good word for me. This new opportunity would be one I stepped into 100% on my own. I’m ready though. I am ready to start back at the bottom and work my way up into a position that I picked because I wanted it not because it was convenient and I knew it would be handed to me. It’s time to change. It’s time to fight for what I want and follow my dreams.
My interview went well yesterday and for anyone who is interested in knowing it was with the wonderful Bark & Co the creators of BarkBox and BarkShop. This is a brand I have a passion about and I greatly hope I can step into a role with their company. I’ve been a customer for a few months now and have developed a passion for their products and their values.
If you’re interested in checking them out you can click the link above or go to http://www.barkbox.com and enter promotional code DREAMCOAGF to get a buy 1 get 1 free discount. If your pooch doesn’t love everything just let their happy customer service team know. My dog gets so excited every time we get a package and he just hopes it’s for him. Each box comes with two toys, two bags of healthy grain, corn and soy free treats and an edible chew. If you have a dog that’s a heavy chewer or has special allergy needs they even will help cater to that.
If I do get an offer for the job it will be a pay cut from where I stand currently, but I think I can make it. I’m going to spend the weekend working out my budget for the remainder of the year to determine if I can indeed dive into this headfirst. Look forward to this blog getting its own domain in the next few weeks and a new look that celebrates who I am. I’ve struggled to identify and define myself, but I’ve had new life breathed into myself over the past week. It’s time for changes, and it’s time to be me so keep checking back!
Also thank you to my new followers lately. It’s great to know that people are interested in my story and want to follow along with my journey. I just hope I don’t disappoint.
In terms of changes there is more than just a career change I’m making to my life. I plan to get healthier, lose weight, and become organized in my life. I will of course happily keep you posted on all of that as time goes on. I cannot wait to share my journey with everyone!
I’ve spent five years working in the financial industry, and while my job has been wonderful to me financially it’s not where my heart is. My heart and passion are in writing and expressing myself creatively. Today begins my journey towards becoming my own boss. I am progressively looking for small work-from-home side hustles so I can build a nice savings account while I work to establish myself and my blog. Hopefully within the next year I can have myself well established and with a decent enough monthly income from my blogging that I can make my passion a full-time career.
I’ve learned as I near my 30’s that life isn’t all about money. Life is about living each moment with joy. I know you can’t pay the rent with ‘joy,’ but what if you could? What if doing what made you happy could support you? What if it could support you more so than you current day job? I truly believe it can. I look at these bloggers with these success stories. Bloggers who monthly bring in well more than I currently do. I’ve decided it’s time for a change. I know the changes will be small and gradual, but I have faith that I can achieve my dreams.
It will take time and drive. I know I won’t immediately pull in the funds, but with dedication I will succeed. I invite you to follow me on this journey as I will be open and honest with my monthly income from my writing and my side hustle. I will tell you what I feel I’m doing right and what I’m doing wrong.
To start I have applied with the following companies. This is just the beginning of my side hustle.
Both of these will allow me the opportunity to bring in extra income to put towards my savings and debt so I can begin this journey towards becoming a full-time blogger and freelance writer.
Wish me luck and say a little prayer because I’m starting at $0, but hope to reach a regular stream of $5,000 a month in 12 months time!